"I'm a good kid! I just got dud meds!"
Joey Pigza is wired. His prescription "meds" are no match for his mood swings. One minute he's sitting at his desk like any other kid; the next he's out of control and taking a time-out in the hallway. When Joey gets worked up, all the rules set by his mother and his teachers go right out the window.
"My spring was wound so tight that I was more like a rat in a maze, without words, or any feelings, or any ideas about myself and what I should be doing other than go, go, go!"
Joey knows he's a disappointment to the people he cares about. His mom's been warned that if he keeps messing up he could be transferred to the downtown special-ed center for problem kids. This could be the end of the line. As Joey himself would say:
"Can I get back to you on that?"
American Library Association Notable Children's Book Award
California Young Reader Medal
National Book Awards - Finalist
School Library Journal Best Books of the Year
I have no idea how I stumbled unto this book about a boy with ADHD, but I'm very glad I did! This book could be about my son. It let me see a little bit of the world through his eyes.
Rating: 5
1 comment:
I enjoyed your blog review. I definitely look forward to reading more. The book itself sounds extremely interesting.
Post a Comment